07 August 2012

DAY TWO HUNDRED AND FIVE

It appears that the New York Times doesn't know current fashion trends.  Neon is back! It's not just the Rubik's cube!

Some interesting articles about sexism in video gaming, including a link to a kickstarter campaign that looks pretty cool. And reading through it, people on the internet can be douches. Actually, they can be absolutely horrible.  Read one or two of those and you'll be sucked in real deep.

Obama's ancestors may have included the first slave in history through (gasp!) his white mother!

One of my sister's friends experienced this while at lunch when a woman made incredibly strange comments about Osama bin Laden and Islam to him.  And holy crap, I didn't realize how tall Osama was. Also, Osama quoted extensively from books by various authors, helping sales of those books soar -- and the quotes are pretty interesting. 

So my mind worked this way: I clicked on some FBI terrorist pages that came up when I clicked on OBL's top ten most wanted poster to investigate turban issues.  Then I clicked on one random one of a dude who was wearing a turban to check out where he was from to investigate why some of these folks wear turbans. Then I saw he was indicted for treason - Adam Yahiye Gadahn. Then I was like, whoa, dude, treason? Then I looked up people who were convicted or accused of treason, including Tomoya Kawakita and the Tokyo Rose. Actually, I can't really tell that either are guilty given the quotes in the articles (though the pardon issued to Iva and the reports of what she'd done is a pretty solid 'no' for treason).  Anyway I was actually trying to find out more about Kawakita to figure out whether he'd done it - should probably just read the court decision - and I found this article about D'Aquino/Tokyo Rose which is what led me to her Wikipedia page.  Then I decided I should probably get back to that Gadahn fellow. And then it was even weirder because Adam Gadahn said that Michael Sheuer was a missionary of hate and a counter-islam consultant. That's weird because of the above thing about the 2007 OBL video:
As with Bin Laden's January 19, 2006 audio tape, where he endorses William Blum's book, Rogue State: A Guide to the World's Only Superpower, in this video Bin Laden endorses Michael Scheuer's Imperial Hubris: Why the West is Losing the War on Terror. Bin Laden states in the video:
"And our holding firm to this magnificent Book is the secret of our strength and winning of the war against you despite the fewness of our numbers and materiel. And if you would like to get to know some of the reasons for your losing of your war against us, then read the book of Michael Scheuer in this regard."
Then the Tokyo Rose page directed me to look at Ezra Pound's. I was super confused til I remembered that he was an American expat who became a fascist and hated like, all sorts of minorities and stuff. Why is it that we learn Heidegger was a Nazi but don't learn that Pound was like actually horrible?
My mind's a spiral! Time to read longform!

No comments:

Post a Comment