16 January 2012

DAYS SEVENTY AND SEVENTY ONE

fulltimesucks apologizes for the horrible, horrible failure to update recently.

Did you know that white baby portabello mushrooms are also called button mushrooms? Crazy, huh! I learned that when looking up various root vegetables (actually, while then wondering what kind of mushroom I bought because it looks a little different than button mushrooms), having made a committment to purchasing and using new foods every week, ones that I've never cooked with before.

Inspired by my recent discovery of brussel sprouts, facilitated by my learning how to cook leeks, along with last year's new knowledge of how to cook celery root, this week at the market I purchased a root vegetable that I had no clue what it was. Actually, there are a lot of vegetables that I have no idea what they look like. Rutabega, turnips, etc - lots of them look alike. Or different. I wouldn't know. I also got beets. Turns out the mystery root vegetables are probably black radishes. Stay tuned for weekly updates of various vegetables I'll be sampling, and come by to help me get rid of my horrible clothes and eat said root vegetables (and mushroom risotto - another thing I've never cooked before)!

The market's also got some new mushroom varieties.

This weekend was super action-packed. From breakfast for dinner, pizza twice in one day, Mushy getting to meet her future life-partner, a fundraiser for square peg theatre, getting my hair all föned up for the first time, and the opening of baris's new bar, one really fun thing that happened was a flash mob. i'm in the picture there, kind of hidden by the japanese tourists. You absolutely cannot see me, but I chose the stupidest pose in the history of six minute flash mobs: charlies angels, with my arms pointing up. It's really, really hard to keep your arms up in the air for six minutes.

Do you need a cage??

I miss good beer, especially those with brewing processes involving dinosaurs. The letter there to a lawyer is awesome.

Mmmmm. Recipes for cheap food. Not as applicable here in Turkey because our prices are all wonky, but really pretty shots and nice recipes!

Crows that sled! Read/watch.

A great photo lineup of people in T-town. Link may be a little messed up for you but try just changing the 'm.facebook' to 'www.facebook'.

Thanks, Jesus!!

No comments:

Post a Comment