on the heels of my previous posts about metaphysics and the ownership of ideas, i'd like to include a critically important book review.
BOOK REVIEW TIME!!
TOXIC BACHELORS BY DANIELLE STEEL
Random House Publishers (Transworld Publishers) 2005
This is one of the worst books I have ever read. It actually recycles sentences over and over in subsequent paragraphs. We all get it: Gray is a famous, but poor artist who goes for crazy chicks his own age probably from his own crazy childhood, Charlie wants the ultimate affluent stay at home wife after the traumatic death of every single family member he has but which gifted him his ENORMOUS wealth (he has a huge yacht!!), and Adam is still really pissed that Rachel dumped him 10 years before, though he really loves his two kids, and goes after dumb girls who are 20 years old - easy since he's a SUPER POWERFUL ENTERTAINMENT LAWYER!!!
Please cut and remix the sentence above there and get pages 1-50 of TOXIC BACHELORS. Add in some generic descriptive terms of hot chicks at restaurants (often topless!) and St. Tropez/other vacay islands and you have TOXIC BACHELORS.
Though I have not yet read through to the end, I'm going to predict the following:
Each man will meet a woman who turns what he thought he wanted on its head, and he'll find nearly instant love and happiness!! But it will be hard because oh my god was it what he really wanted because he is a (starving artist afraid of committments/woman hater because no woman is perfect enough and god damn a lot of them want to work outside the home/woman hater because his evil bitch wife left him over a decade ago)! Don't fear, in the end, the nearly perfect and much-better-than-the-man heroines will come along to change our TOXIC BACHELORS. All of this with some very bland and incredibly unreaslistic relationship-development-arches.
I highly recommend avoiding TOXIC BACHELORS today. And would like to remind Danielle Steel that although I understand there's some artistic license in the English language, she's gotta stop, using commas, for the hell, of it. And stop with the run on sentences, God didn't your editor say something like "Hey Dani, I think maybe instead of putting commas here, thus creating a run on sentence, you should put a semi-colon?" Given how terrible this 'work' is, I'd wager that a semi-colon would be offputting for the people who actually make it to page 100, where I am now.
ONE STAR OUT OF TEN
No comments:
Post a Comment