06 June 2012

DAY ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY THREE

today will have to be an off day for INOFFICEWORKOUT2012!!!!

unconventional warfare. long, but worth it.


<3


Midwives are really, really, really cool.  Here's an article about a non-nurse midwife who started the movement, and here's a website of hers dedicated to maternal and neo-natal health care. A patch of a quilt for every woman who died from childbirth. I remember when I got my tattoo in what was to become an unfortunate location (stupid tramp stamp term), and I was warned that I wouldn't be able to get an epidural for childbirth... a warning I really did not understand.  
In the 1970s when Gaskin began advocating for natural-birth options, she found herself at odds with feminists who were focused on getting women into the workplace and out from under the constraints of family. She was even booed off the stage in 1975 by a Yale feminist group. Some feminists, like the theorist Shulamith Firestone, hoped ardently for the day when human reproduction would be handled completely by machines.
One thing that *does* deeply disturb me, despite the fact that a lot of my hippie friends seem to be doing it?  Eating placentas. Ew.
“Mommy going to eat it,” Kanase, the 3-year-old, volunteered, pointing at the quivering placenta.
So far, I've had to read (as status updates) recipes for placenta sushi, dried placenta (like beef jerkey!), frozen placenta, and how to put placentas into pills to pop for a pick-me-up. Ew.

No comments:

Post a Comment