29 June 2012

DAY ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY

I love this xkcd comic because it's about one of my favorite astrophysicists (i'm kinda in love with a lot of them):

This is a horrible autotuned version of a lot of cool things other science educators, theoretical physicists, and astrophysicists have said"



About once or twice a month, I go through the most popular youtube videos as a way to make me feel somewhat like I'm connected to popular culture. I saw a video of a bus monitor being bullied - it was so bad that I shut it off after about 20 seconds. Absolutely horrifying. Which made me happy to read good.is's most recent people are awesome post, which made me go back and click on the original again - and, though I was still unable to watch much more of it, it did make me feel slightly better to see that the video had 28,000+ dislikes.  Read also this article, which discusses the need to recognize and combat bullying, something I strongly agree with.
So while it's great that the internet rallied to send Karen on vacation, and Josh and Wesley may feel genuine regret, we need to teach students—and everyone, really—to identify situations in which group behavior is veering into dangerous territory and to speak up effectively. That means changing the cultural norms and practices in a school, so that kids and adults alike learn to help each other rather than compete. It means cultivating empathy with the same zeal that we teach science and math. And it means rethinking how we educate, so that today’s lunchroom bullies don’t grow up to be boardroom bullies.

More amazing things that reddit has helped do here. I myself am partial to the cutie with Huntingtons who died.  But my real favorite is Cain's Arcade.  Watch the documentary here and learn more about it. It's absolutely adorable. A kid created his own arcade out of cardboard, but nobody came... until someone decided to make a flashmob event.
One day, by chance, I walked into Smart Parts Auto looking for a used door handle for my ’96 Corolla. What I found was an elaborate handmade cardboard arcade manned by a young boy who asked if I would like to play. I asked Caine how it worked and he told me that for $1 I could get two turns, or for $2 I could get a Fun Pass with 500 turns. I got the Fun Pass.
It's spiraled since then and over $200,000 have been raised for his education (with matching funds going to creating a foundation to spur an 'imagination foundation' to inspire other kids). I love it!

And finally, sent by officemate:
Men and women who chew too much khat abandon their domestic responsibilities in favor of spending hour of hour getting mildly high.

No comments:

Post a Comment