I know we're all probably pretty tired from the fiasco that was building the furniture (leaving me with an actual maze in my room and a pretty interesting sleep surface), but it's DAY NINE back at the full time job. major shoutout and thanks to tom leeming for the live blogging and assistance with the furniture.
For all those Istanbul folks out there, make sure to see the Square Peg Theatre Troupe's performance this week! Find them on facebook (I'd link but my work doesn't give us access to facebook).
Fun links discovered this weekend:
Like Eli, I did it.
And watch the documentary. It's awesome.
You know what I think is a perfectly reasonable solution to street dogs and cats? Mobile animal incinerators. More disturbing is when I looked this up originally, I didn't put in the word "Ukraine" and just searched mobile animal incinerator. Hurikan's ad pitches for how quickly and efficiently their machines burn animals are disturbing, to say the least.
When I was in college, one of the kids from Young Americans for Freedom got into a facebook group Students for Economic Justice had and defaced everything. The little brat was so rude to me when I mentioned that perhaps his future political career may be helped by being somewhat respectful to those you disagreed with. Another thing that happened was that the university sent an undercover police to infiltrate the group. People like this are terrible for the world. And even worse is he's smearing the good name Tom Ryan! Also, David Graeber comes off like a total douche in the article as well.
Put your lips in this space.
I always like making bets about whether or not there's some islands 20 km off Canada that use the Euro as their currency. Saint Pierre and Miquelon, some of the smallest territorial holdings, use the Euro; the Canadian dollar is widely accepted. They speak France-French on the islands and it's the only place in North America to use the guillotine. Places like this are fascinating - one of the islands that makes up the overseas collectivity only had one inhabitant for a while.
My love for xkcd and vow to read every comic ever written remains. Friends with detriments?
And finally, two posts. One is a picture, while the other discusses the past history of octopuses in visual representations of the evils of capitalism. Interesting stuff.
comment on the article: http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2011/10/david-graeber-on-playing-by-the-rules-–-the-strange-success-of-occupy-wall-street.html
ReplyDeleteyeeeeeep... although in this he doesn't say he's the one who came up with the 99% motto. or at least i didn't read that far into it.