Speaking of pies, I love the Yippie! party.
There are so many fun facts associated with the Yippie!s. Before I get distracted and start reading the wiki artilces about the Yippie! party which i've read about a 1000 times and then transition to reading about the SDS and marxist groups and anarchists and weather underground and the one person who's still not been caught by the FBI from weathermen underground, let me list some awesome facts about the Yippie!s and why I love them:
-The party's name has an ! in it.
-From yippie to yuppie. The guy who made the word yuppie famous transitioned from being all 'capitalism bad' to working in some financial field or something or other and making a bunch and wrote a book about it. He died tragically young, I think from being hit by a car.
-The world's first political pieing (ahh, there's the connection) was done by the yippies. What an amazing first! I wonder if the shoe guy will be remembered for being the world's first(ish) political shoe-ing. Pieing's cooler.
-Abby Hofman was a Yippie. I love him. Even though Steal This Book uses weird dated language, it's amazing. It's also got an amazing wheatpasting recipe, I think. I also love the Chicago protests and his antics before judges in the chicago 7 trial.
-The Yippies tried to get a pig elected as president.
And then I get sad and nostalgic and miss working for social change, radical activists, cooperative living and whatnot instead of being FULL TIME (sucks). Even granola and dumpstering.
Read: yippies, the SDS and weathermen underground.
No comments:
Post a Comment