The Kiribati language is written in the Latin Script and has been since the 1840s, when Hiram Bingham Jr, a missionary, first translated the bible into Kiribati. Previously, the language was unwritten. The letter 's' does not appear in the Kiribati alphabet, instead the combination "ti" is used for that sound.
One difficulty in translating the Bible was references to words such as "mountain", a geographical phenomenon unknown to the people of the islands of Kiribati at the time (heard only in the myths from Samoa). Bingham decided to use "hilly", which would be more easily understood. Such adjustments are common to all languages as "modern" things require the creation of new words. For example, the Gilbertese word for airplane is te wanikiba, "the canoe that flies".
And then another article about the Dothraki language, which was farmed out to be created based off the novels to someone from the Language Creation Society. The article's not very interesting, to be honest, but perhaps in the future there'll be more to add there. On the positive side, the Language Creation Society's webpage has a lot of cool stuff, including a calendar with awesome holidays such as Cyrillic alphabet day and the feast day of the inventors of Cyrillic. And when the 5th Element came out.
I'd like to give a big thank you to the person who gave me the illness that I can feel I'm currently battling off. Your efforts weren't for naught; my immune system was feeling a bit bored with its easy life. As an added bonus, my allergies have been acting up like crazy and I've even gotten some hives!
And finally YOU MUST WATCH THIS! IT IS SO ADORABLE AND IS SOON TO BE MY FAVORITE DOCUMENTARY EVER! Based on this website.
I'd like to give a big thank you to the person who gave me the illness that I can feel I'm currently battling off. Your efforts weren't for naught; my immune system was feeling a bit bored with its easy life. As an added bonus, my allergies have been acting up like crazy and I've even gotten some hives!
And finally YOU MUST WATCH THIS! IT IS SO ADORABLE AND IS SOON TO BE MY FAVORITE DOCUMENTARY EVER! Based on this website.
No comments:
Post a Comment