As an aside, I'm now sore from a truly valiant attempt to do that last night.
And, if you're in the mood for some daggering on top of that, this song again, which goes with the above one like milk and coffee.
A history of the second wave of house music in Chicago, along with interviews and clips and at the bottom, a mix from Derrick Carter and DJ Sneak, who I've been lucky enough to see a couple of times. Although in regards to the article, I will say that I think Chicago doesn't win the most segregated city in America award, as mentioned: that title goes to Detroit (including Livonia)!
Here's a sad tale of some LA Armenians. It's really interesting - particularly the descriptions of food that's widely available in Turkey (çiğ köfte, or, as the article and possibly Armenians call it, raw meat and bulgar che kufta). I'm also not so sure that attempted cheating on an entrance exam in 1997 alone would be enough to prevent the kid in the article from entering law school, considering that convicted killers gain entry to law school...
My font changed after the cut and paste, but I like this font better. Thoughts?
This article makes me want to go to expensive extremely popular restaurants and bribe my way in. This article makes me want to be able to bribe my way to good service. Honestly, it'll probably be the only and best way to assure good service in this country. Three years from now, I'll have the kind of cash to do so(!), although from my memories in NY some of the hippest restaurants were also filled with foods I thought to be gross -- but it was during the foam craze of the mid aughts. This place, though, sounds cool. An excerpt from the article:
I was clearly in another league of exclusivity. Lay eaters wouldn’t dream of trying to enter a restaurant where if you order verbena tea they bring the plant to your table and a white-gloved waiter snips the leaves with silver shears.This article is pretty interesting about the relationship between rap/hip-hop and the LA riots, although I think overall it's rather poorly written and the connection between the two is laid out too sparsely and unmethodically to mean anything. Still, a pretty short read.
No comments:
Post a Comment