31 May 2012

DAY ONE HUNDRED AND FIDDY NINE

Last of the 150s. Time sure flies when you're wasting away your life!  Or working, whatever it's called.

I have to say that the NY Times travel on a budget pieces blow my mind. Their idea of budget and mine are clearly very, very different.  Dani Burlison is my new favorite author, and her "Sex Tourism on a String" is no exception:
After spending thousands of dollars on diets, cosmetic surgery, beauty products and “find your lost and confused soul mate and mold him into the man you’ve always wanted” workshops each year, women are left with little more than orange faux tan residue and one-way conversations with the millions of rescue cats adopted each year from local animal shelters they’ve subsequently renamed “Ewan McGregor” or “David Bowie.”
...According to my research, the more conservative men tend to take a liking to women with free spirits, foul mouths, tattoos and radical, leftist politics. I’d advise women to not dismiss these men. Often, they have experienced some degree of internalized oppression and their inner, more sensitive sides can come out of their rough, six-pack-abs exteriors with the right women. And the right amount of alcohol. 
I should probably start taking pictures when on vacation... Like, I don't think I have any of most of the places I went to, though I guess it doesn't matter. Maybe I'll get a poloroid. Or get INSTAGRAM THE COOLEST PROGRAM EVER AND THEN I CAN MAKE THE PLACES I GO TO LOOK ALL COOL AND MAYBE TAKE PICTURES OF MY FOOD AND STUFF!

Today's the first LUNCH BEAT ISTANBUL! Unfortunately I think it's too far away from my work to go to. Instead, tonight, I'll have to jam out to my own ecstatic dance jam. MY OWN ECSTATIC DANCE JAM! Apparently there are zumba lessons somewhere in Istanbul. I'll report back more once I'm done wasting my life. Or working, whatever it's called. But before then, a kinda old radio message: hippie dances ecstatically. Officemate send me that five years ago.

Someone on PAWI helpfully said that they're giving their "small town" niece a place to live for the summer. While it's totally cool that they're giving the teenager a chance to live in Istanbul, I really, REALLY, REALLY get annoyed when people say others are from small towns.  *I* was called from a small town at points. Do you know how many people are unfairly labelled as being from a small town just because they're not from one of the BIGGEST cities in the US?  In anger, yesterday I told officemate that I was going to make a list of European capital cities that are less populated than my home town.  Not the EGR hometown (WE'RE NUMBER FIVE! WE'RE NUMBER FIVE!!) but the larger city that surrounds EGR. I'm going to take the combined statistical area because it's the biggest and probably the most unfair number to use, and that's the way I roll. Also, I'm going to not actually just do capital cities because it turns out a lot of the ones that aren't totally boring are a little more populated than GR. But I'm not doing it now because it's time for me to work, or something like that. OR LOOKING UP NEW HAIRSTYLES GOTTA GO

No comments:

Post a Comment