21 May 2012

DAY ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY THREE

It turns out that the tales of Bob Tomarchin and Moko are GREAT stories to tell to everyone who I can corner to listen. Great for me, probably not so much for everyone else subjected to the tales of Henderson island and Pitcairn history, but whatever.  He made Life Magazine! And was insane! And grabbed the chimp and went on a circuitous route to Mexico - FREEEEEEEEEEEDOM.

The soul-sucking, soul-crushing, horrible hideous thing that is what I spend much of my day doing is even worse than it normally is.  Every single day all I do is waste my time doing stuff that I should never have to do.  I am a completely wasted resource at a firm that underpays its employees while emotionally abusing them.  I learn nothing anymore; I do nothing. My coworkers have complained that they sometimes get bored, just staring at their computer screens. My computer is jacked so I can't even print the emails that I'm supposed to print, and the new intern came in already to complain about how slow her computer is going, as if she thinks she has a unique problem.  I am contemplating breaking the copy machine more than it is so it finally gets fixed, seeing as right now it can only print one page before it gets jammed. [ED NOTE: this has downgraded to not even printing a page before it decides it's jammed.]  I just want to quit so I can move onto something else, but my boss hates attorneys who leave so much that she has pretended that one of my former coworkers, who is now heading a team at another firm, is dead, and we're no longer allowed to speak her name.  I'll look back at the 11 hours a day I've spent here over the past year with an enormous, enormous amount of regret, and this completely pointless waste of time blog is the only (incredibly crap) thing I've gotten out of it, other than a hatred of the legal profession and an extremely strong desire to never have to work in a law firm again.

In protest of that, I'm going to blog for a little bit, and I may work out for a little bit during lunch.  That or play sims on the ipad. The only things I've used the iPad for so far are taking pictures and playing games. And reading Vanity Fair. I really want to read Sons and Lovers but OH I JUST FOUND IT FOR SOME REASON OUT OF ORDER ON MY IPAD WOOOOOOOO. Sons and Lovers here I come!

I found out one thing my life is missing other than purpose is Gizlibahce on Saturday nights. Best music I've heard in a long time and I danced like I haven't in a while.  

NEWS ROUNDUP
People come out against putting that one kid away who videotaped his gay roommate and told people to watch it online and then that kid committed suicide and it was all big in the news, and I think he had also posted something to it gets better (note: not the law school version, just about it getting worse).

This article is interesting but I wish it went into a little more detail about the glass escalator.  Like in nursing, at least from what I remember my mom telling me, although nursing is primarily female dominated, when men enter, they tend to flock to the most highly regarded areas, like nurse anesthethists, which - although it's certainly good to remove gender barriers for professions - kind of keeps them enforced (male nurses earn the most, female remain the underpaid masses). From the article:
Men earn more than women even in female-dominated jobs. And white men in particular who enter those fields easily move up to supervisory positions, a phenomenon known as the glass escalator — as opposed to the glass ceiling that women encounter in male-dominated professions, said Adia Harvey Wingfield, a sociologist at Georgia State University. 
I had some more articles but, of course, my work computer is too messed up to be able to handle both printing and blogging at the same time. So with that, my dear readers, I tell you to please do as I say, but not as I do, and never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever work in this office.
~~~~~~
Update! Well, that was an exciting day!  Officemate assigned the intern some of the more boring work from the job, certain individuals in the office indicated they have little grasp on the assignments they deal, and my blackberry caught on fire! full of smoking melted plastic. HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment