20 April 2012

DAY ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY SIX

It's almost like the author of this piece was me:
Toward the end of February, a friend spent a miserable week thinking she’d been shunned by her top choice program because an anonymous user on Grad Cafe reported an early acceptance from the same school. My friend was heartbroken—until her own acceptance arrived.
Remember when I got that horrible website banned as social networking, but before doing that, posted a bunch of fake results just to screw with everyone reading the worst, most horrible website of all time? Although, I will say that I think I disagree with her use of the term "gunner", which, as far as I am aware, is less of a grad school specific and more law school (or, apparently, med school as well). Oh! Looks like they caught me:
While such sites offer fellowship to rejected applicants, they often contribute to the misinformation already swirling around graduate admissions, hinting at a supreme secret behind the curtain that Williams says isn’t there.
Yesterday all I did was research cultures where homosexuality is ritualized. Officemate was slightly horrified. Am I the only one who finds this description of "mature student" absolutely horrifying? Mature students

Main article: Mature student A mature, non-traditional, or adult student in tertiary education (at a university or a college) is normally classified as an (undergraduate) student who is at least 21–23 years old at the start of their course and usually having been out of the education system for at least two years. Mature students can also include students who have been out of the education system for decades, or students with no secondary education. Mature students also make up graduate and postgraduate populations by demographic of age.

The soguk su saga continues, but will be broken up by what is going to be, by all accounts, the most amazing weekend of my life. Ever. Hands down. Not that I'd have high expectations, or anything... But I am terribly excited about the Ethiopian food!

3 comments:

  1. also i can't believe your blog still makes me do captcha

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Strangest of all, with her result in hand, it was suddenly important for her to deny that she had ever been enthralled to anything as “dumb” as the Grad Cafe."

    ReplyDelete